U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Skip Header

Census Bureau Releases Industry Series Report on Accommodation

For Immediate Release: Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Census Bureau Releases Industry Series Report on Accommodation

Press Release Number CB14-TPS.81

The U.S. Census Bureau today released additional national-level data from the 2012 Economic Census Industry Series reports for the accommodation and food services sector of the economy. This release includes new statistics on the nation’s 63,896 accommodation businesses (NAICS 721), which reported sales of $195.4 billion and employed nearly 2.0 million people in 2012.

Other highlights:

  • Traveler accommodation (NAICS 7211,which includes hotels, motels, casino hotels and bed-and-breakfast inns) accounted for 96.9 percent ($189.3 billion) of the sales of all accommodation businesses in 2012. The remaining 3.1 percent consisted of recreational vehicle parks and recreational camps (NAICS 7212) and rooming and boarding houses (NAICS 7213).
  • Casino hotels (NAICS 72112) had a 12.0 percent increase in the number of establishments, from 307 in 2007 to 344 in 2012.
  • Gambling services accounted for 66.7 percent ($34.2 billion) of casino hotels’ sales, while 11.9 percent ($6.0 billion) was from room or unit accommodation for travelers and others and 8.5 percent ($4.4 billion) was from meals, snacks and nonalcoholic beverages for immediate consumption.
  • Bed-and-breakfast inns (NAICS 721191) had a 7.4 percent decrease in the number of employees, from 17,357 in 2007 to 16,067 in 2012.
  • Rooming and boarding houses reported a 62.6 percent increase in sales (from $811.2 million in 2007 to $1.3 billion in 2012) and a 25.9 percent increase in annual payroll (from $163.7 million in 2007 to $206.1 million in 2012). This industry includes workers’ camps and other businesses that provide temporary or long-term accommodations.

The data from the 2012 Economic Census (as well as historical information from prior economic censuses) are available at census.gov through the American FactFinder tool. Reference information about the economic census (including a schedule that shows when state and local area data will be released) is available on the 2012 Economic Census home page.


All dollar values are expressed in current dollars, i.e., they are not adjusted for price changes. The statistics presented include data only for businesses with paid employees. For more information about the design methodology of the economic census (including information on comparability, confidentiality protection, sampling error, nonsampling error and definitions), see  //www.census.gov/econ/census/help/methodology_disclosure

No news release associated with this release. Tip Sheet only.


Public Information Office




Back to Header