(The data presented here are from tables 1, 2, 7, and 8 of Final Report PC(2)-7E, Occupation and Residence in 1965, which contains additional information on labor mobility and change in occupation, industry, and state of residence between 1965 and 1970, as well as more detailed technical explanations.)
Over one-half (56.9 percent) of employed men 20-64 years old reported that in 1965 they were in the same major occupation group as in 1970. The remaining 43.1 percent were either working in a different major occupation group in 1965 or were in the Armed Forces or not working.
Less than one-half (47.1 percent) of employed women 20-64 years old reported that in 1965 they had the same major occupation group as in 1970. The majority (52. 9 percent) of employed women at these ages were working in a different major occupation group or were not working in 1965.
The probability that 1970 employed persons were working in 1965 in the same major occupation or industry group is highly related to age. Among employed men 20-34 years old, only 34.9 percent reported that in 1965 they were working in the same major occupation group as in 1970; for men 35-49 years old, 67.8 percent reported that in 1965 they were working in the same major occupation group as in 1970, and for men 50-64 years old the percent rose to 72.1. A similar pattern characterizes industry shifts (shown in table 7).
Census statistics date back to 1790 and reflect the growth and change of the United States. Past census reports contain some terms that today’s readers may consider obsolete and inappropriate. As part of our goal to be open and transparent with the public, we are improving access to all Census Bureau original publications and statistics, which serve as a guide to the nation's history.